I was able to successfully root/jailbreak my HTC Aria phone and install Android 2.2. Here are the steps. (Please try it at your own risk).
- Install unrevoked3 to root the phone.
- Download CyanogenMod for your version of the handset.
- Copy it into your phones SDcard and rename to update.zip
- Power off your phone and keep pressing power button (on top) and volume button (on side)
- It will reboot with recovery options with multiple menu options.
- Select option 6: nandroid to take backup
- Select option to 3: "wipe data/factory reset"
- Select option 4: "wipe cache partition"
- Select option 8: "Advance" and select option "wipe delvik cache".
- Selection option "reboot recovery"
- Now select option to install update.zip from sdcard.
- Reboot the phone and you will have andorid 2.2 install.
13. Enable your wifi internet connection
14. Goto ROM Manager and upgrade FlashClockworkMode version
15. Download market fix to your sd card. Market_fix_bgill55.zip
16. Again follow 5,7,8,9 and 10
17. Go back to ROM manager and select option install from SD card.
18. Select Market_fix_bgill55.zip
19. once installation is done, reboot.